While I wouldn’t go as far as to say I have a short attention span, I’m definitely someone who needs to try new things.
Even when I find something that I adore, like my burnt carrot salad
I can’t quite bring myself to keep making it time after time.
What if there’s an even better salad out there, and I don’t know it?
I suspect my Irishman finds this quest for the new a little exasperating. Especially when he’s got his heart set on burnt carrot salad for dinner and I counter with the idea of trying a caramelised witlof (belgian endive) salad instead.
Happily in this case, the new salad was just as good as the original.
Not only that, we finished it far more quickly than the accompanying rib eye steaks.
caramelised witlof (endive) salad
serves 2 as a side
2 witlof (belgian endive)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley, leaves picked
1. Preheat a BBQ or frying pan to a medium high heat.
2. Cut witlof in half lengthwise and drizzle the cut side with a little oil.
3. Cook witlof cut side down for 5-10 minutes or until caramelised underneath and tender on top.
4. Meanwhile combine soy, vinegar and 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
5. Toss cooked witlof in the dressing along with the parsley.
Have you seen The Tired & Hungry Cook’s Companion?