One of my favourite ways to cook eggplant or aubergine is to chop it in half, score the flesh, drizzle it with a little olive oil and roast for at least an hour.
Not exactly 15 minute cooking.
Although it is delicious.
So when I got a request from Ashley, one of my students in our 15 Minute Meals class for 15 Minute Eggplant Parmigiana, I knew I had a challenge on my hands.
But in the end, the solution was quite easy…
I just outsourced the eggplant cooking part.
Thank heavens for deli eggplant slices.
And the thing is… it tastes just as good as if you had slaved over a hot stove frying individual eggplant slices.
Ashley’s 15 Minute Eggplant Parmigiana
1 can tomatoes (400g / 14oz)
8-10 slices grilled eggplant from the deli
5-6 small bocconcini balls
small handful fresh basil leaves
1. Preheat your overhead grill (broiler) on its highest setting and place a medium fry pan on a high heat.
2. Add a generous glug of olive oil and the tomatoes. Simmer for about 7 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, if the eggplant has been packed in oil, drain on paper towel.
4. Add eggplant to the tomato and push in to cover with the sauce. Scatter over the bocconcini and grate parmesan over the top.
5. Place under the hot grill for 4-5 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
ps. For more ideas for how to use deli eggplant, like veggie
lasagne, it’s not too late to sign up for the 15 Minute Meals class
at the Stonesoup Virtual Cookery School. Go to: