A few weeks ago I wrote about my burnt carrot salad.
At the time I thought it was pretty much the best you could get when it came to vegetable salads.
Happily, on the weekend I discovered I was wrong.
My Irishman was keen to cook burnt carrot salad on the BBQ, again.
But I had a bunch of beets in the fridge that needed using up. And I like to try new things. So I managed to persuade him to try something different.
And we were both glad we did.
I believe there were even the words ‘better than potatoes’ spoken – pretty much the highest accolade in our house.
With the deep red beets, green leaves and white cheese it wouldn’t go astray on a festive table either.
charred beet salad
1 bunch beets, trimmed & washed
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 handfuls rocket (arugula) leaves
100g (3oz) fresh goats cheese
1. Preheat your oven to 20C (400F). Wrap each beet in foil and bake for 45mins – 1hour or until beets are really soft.
2. Meanwhile fire up your BBQ or a frying pan.
3. When the beets are tender, remove from the foil and squash them so they are about half their original height.
4. Drizzle with oil and cook on a BBQ grill plate or in the frying pan for 4-5 minutes on each side until the beets are a little burned and charred in places.
5. Meanwhile, combine balsamic, soy and 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
6. Scatter leaves over a serving platter. Top with hot beets, drizzle with dressing and finish with little chunks of the cheese.
ps. The discount for “Your ‘No Worries’ Thanksgiving & Christmas” expires 7pm EST Thursday 17th. Make sure you don’t miss out go to: